Think that “Listerine” smell means your hair color is working? Nope – it means bad things are going into your hair and scalp. You go “green” and healthy with everything else – why not your hair color? Isn’t your wellbeing worth it?
Disadvantages of Low Cost Hair Color Treatments: Paying less for hair color lines for treatment of hair does not mean getting a quality product. There is a difference between higher priced hair products and low cost hair products.
- Image by you-did via Flickr
Disadvantages of Low Cost Products: Before purchasing products that are inexpensive, the ingredients label should be read Lower cost products contain ingredients that are harmful for the body.
Ingredients to Avoid
- Hydrogen Peroxide in products can bleach and damage a person’s hair. The amount of damage caused will depend on the amount of peroxide added to the hair color. Higher priced products do not contain this ingredient, therefore the risk is lower.
- Ammonia in hair color gives it a longer hair color life but can irritate a person’s skin and can sometimes be toxic. Hair color with ammonia will not fade as quickly as colors with other ingredients.
- Formaldehyde is another ingredient used in some hair color product but can cause cancer as well as problems with a person’s development and reproductive system.
- DMDM Hydantoin is used in hair color to preserve the product but may harm a person’s body by interfering with and acting as a toxin in the immune system. This ingredient is prohibited in some countries.
Recommended color lines: Higher priced brands are usually higher quality products that can contain little or none of the ingredients listed above. But not always. That strong ammonia smell you may have gotten used to when you color your hair in a salon – that’s a telltale sign? The most highly recommended brand is Farouk Chi Hair Color, available only in color processes administered by your stylist.
Chi Hair Color is recommended because the color does not fade quickly therefore, the effect last for a long period of time. Chi Shine Hair Color also adds a shine to completely cover all of the gray hair. Chi is used at a number of professional salons because, while it costs a little more, it contains both silk protein as well as milk protein, and Farouk Chi Hair color does not contain ammonia that can damage hair.
As always, consult your stylist.
Anastasia is a salon hair stylist in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Out of town appointments welcome.