Multi-textured hair can present a challenge because it is not exactly kinky, but it is not smooth and sleek either. This can mean that your hair is curly yet soft or wavy and very thick and has a tendency to mat. If you have this type of hair you can have strong healthy hair with a few simple tips that your stylist can do in the salon and you can do at home between visits.
Multi-textured hair needs moisture. Moisture keeps your hair from becoming dry and knotted. Moisture also strengthens your hair shaft to keep it looking great and manageable. Multi-textured hair has a tendency to be dry and break. Adequate moisture will prevent this from happening.
- Get an intense moisturizing treatment in the salon once a month. Your stylist has the tools and products to add intense moisture to your hair. Usually this is done with a moisturizing products and heat. You may be placed under a dryer or steam vapor dryer with an intense moisturizing product on your hair. After the heat treatment your stylist may choose to leave the product in your hair while it cools so that your hair can absorb the maximum amount of moisture possible.
- Comb your hair only when it is wet. Wet multi-textured hair is much stronger than dry hair. This helps to prevent breakage and knots.
- Always brush your hair with a natural bristle brush before you shampoo it. This helps to remove excess oils and debris as well as get knots and tangles out before your hair is wet.
- If you get knots and tangles, wet your hair and apply a conditioning product. Section your hair and start at the ends and gently work out the knots and tangles with a wide tooth comb. Be sure to go slowly and be patient.
- Give yourself an at-home moisturizing treatment with a hot wet towel and conditioner. Apply conditioner to your hair and wrap it in a hot towel. This will help your hair absorb the conditioner. Use a wide tooth comb to remove any tangles and knots.
- Sleep on a silk or satin pillowcase. This will prevent your hair from becoming knotted because your hair will slide on the pillowcase easily.
Use these tips to help keep your hair healthy and strong. Your stylist can give you more tips and help you choose professional products that will work the best on your hair type and texture. Multi-textured hair can be very beautiful and strong with proper care and maintenance.