Summer means time spent under the sun. Time spent at the beach, in the park and just being outside exposes you to the unrelenting rays of the sun. We all know how important sunscreen is to protect skin from premature aging and skin cancer. But did you know that it is equally important to protect your hair from the damaging rays of the sun? This is especially true if you color your hair.
The UVA/UVB rays of the sun can make your color treated hair brassy and cause your color to fade. This happens because the sun causes oxidation to occur and this breaks down the color molecules in your hair shaft causing the unwanted orange, brassy color no one wants. Add the effects of styling products and high heat styling tools and your hair can look tired and stressed this summer. But if you take some precautions you can keep your hair healthy and your color fresh all summer and throughout the year.
What can you do to protect you hair?
- First cover up. Wear a scarf or hat when you are in the sun.
- Stay hydrated. Carry and drink water throughout the day.
- Next be sure to use moisturizing shampoos and conditioners. Your hair needs moisture every season, but in the summer it is exposed to heat, humidity, salt from the beach and chlorine found in pools. You need a gentle shampoo that will not strip your hair of the natural oils that protect it and your scalp. Conditioners that are effective yet not greasy and heavy keep your hair at its peak of health.
- A leave in conditioner can offer further protection no matter where you find yourself this season. Look for one that has natural botanicals to give your hair a natural boost of health.
- Use a moisturizing hair mask once a week. These products offer deep conditioning and can rebuild and repair stressed hair.
- Get regular trims and cuts. This will keep split ends from making your hair look and feel dry and keep frizz under control.
Ask your stylist what products she recommends for your hair type and lifestyle. She is your best resource for advice and knowledge to keep your hair looking its very best all year long.
Anastasia is a salon hair stylist in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Out of town appointments welcome.