Big hair is sexy and very popular right now. Celebrities are showing up on the red carpet and at events with their hair styled with volume and height. While big hair for this decade isn’t quite as high as in the 80’s, it still adds a sexy feminine vibe to any look. The key to keeping your hair up is using the right products and styling techniques. You’ll need a volumizing spray, heat protecting product, large barrel brush, blow dryer, hot rollers or a curling iron, small tooth styling comb, paddle brush and lots of hairspray.
Here’s how to get the volume and sexy look you want.
- Apply volumizing spray to towel dried hair at the roots. Apply a heat protecting product to your entire head of hair.
- Bend over and flip your hair over your head. Use your fingers to dry the underside of your hair starting at the roots.
- Once the majority of your hair is dry, stand up and flip your hair back. Section out your hair to make it easy to work with. Start at the roots and use a large barrel brush pulling your hair up away from your head and directing the blow dryer along the shaft of your hair as you pull the brush to the ends.
- Next section out your hair again and roll it up into hot rollers or use a curling iron to place random soft curls all over your head. (You can reapply heat protecting product again if you want extra protection.)
- take the hair on the crown of your head and divide it into sections. Start at the back and backcomb your hair section by section. You can adjust the volume by the amount of backcombing you do.
- Gently brush your curls out to form soft waves or piece them out with some styling paste for more definition.
- On the crown of your head, take the paddle brush and smooth the top layer of hair over the backcombing. You can form a deep side part or brush your hair straight back.
- Spray your hair with hairspray and you’ve got big sexy hair.
Ask your stylist to show you how to backcomb it you’re not sure how to do it, and ask her for recommendations on professional products to give you maximum volume and protection from high heat tools.