At the recent British Academy of Film and Television Awards (BAFTA) several celebrities wore their hair in retro 40’s waves. Retro styles have been very popular for quite a while, and they are a great way to show off the texture of your hair. You can add retro waves to almost any hairstyle that is at least shoulder length. If your hair is shorter, try finger waves. These were very popular in the 20’s and 30’s. They take a bit of practice, but you can have your stylist help you learn how to do them if you want to try them at home.
To get Fearne Cotton’s wavy layered bob, apply mousse before you dry your hair. Don’t use a brush or comb, but fluff your hair with your fingers as it drys. Set your dry hair on medium width hot rollers and let it set until completely cool. Always let your hair cool before you brush or style it to maintain the curls. Next remove the rollers and soften the curls with a wide paddle brush. To get volume, backcomb near the roots and smooth the hair with the brush, being careful not to flatten it. Use hairspray to define and hold your waves and you’ve got a fabulous style.
You can also ask your stylist to teach you the art of backcombing. It basically involves pulling small sections of hair up and using a fine tooth comb to comb the hair back toward the scalp. (Backcombing was the secret to the huge bouffant hairstyles of the 50’s and 60’s.) Backcombing helps your hair hold curls and waves, and will make your style last longer. As long as you’re gentle it will not hurt your hair. When you want to restyle your hair, let the water run through your hair when you shampoo it a bit to help loosen the curls. Use a moisturizing conditioner to keep your hair shiny and healthy looking. Retro waves are sexy and a great look for any special occasion.
- The 411 On Chemical Straightening And Hair Relaxing Methods - November 17, 2016
- What Will Be The Hottest Color For Bringing In 2017? - November 14, 2016
- Potential Hollywood Extension Looks For Modern Women - November 10, 2016
- How To Tweak Five Years Off Your Mature Hairstyle - November 7, 2016
- Brunettes Can Own Eye-Popping Pastel Hair Too… - November 3, 2016
- A Pre-Fall Look Into The New Lob - October 31, 2016
- Why It’s A Good Idea To Straighten Your Curly Hair - October 28, 2016
- Pro Tips For Leaving Hopeless Hair Behind - October 24, 2016
- Eight Coiffeur-Inspirations From Today’s Male Pop Stars - October 20, 2016
- Why Medium-Length Hair Is In This Fall - October 17, 2016