Katy Perry channeled flappers of long ago with a retro wave style at a charity event last month. She wore her hair in waves and pinned her hair up to give it a faux short length. This look might seem complicated, but it is really very easy to pull off. First curl your entire head with a curling iron wrapping the hair around the barrel of the iron the same way all around your head. Let your hair cool completely and spray it down with a generous amount of hairspray. With a natural bristle brush, gently brush your hair into soft waves.
Don’t be afraid to brush your hair out, the curls will turn into soft waves and the hairspray will keep the waves from coming out. As long as your hair is completely cool, and you use a gentle stroke, you will be get the look you want. If your hair is long, you can make it look shorter like Katy did by pinning it up. First gather your hair into a loose ponytail. Next roll the ends up and pin them with several bobby pins at the length your want. Reapply some hairspray to keep everything in check, and add a pretty retro hairband.
- Use small sections of hair to curl and let them completely cool. This will lock in the curl pattern, if you brush it when the hair is not cool you’ll brush the curl and waves right out.
- Keep the ponytail loose and roll the ends up tightly. You might have to practice this step a few times to get the look you want.
- Use long hair pins and pin the ends of your hair close to your scalp..
- Curl activator will help your hair to curl, and root lift will give you lots of volume.
- If you’re starting with just shampooed hair, use a large barrel brush with your blow dryer. This will give you a smooth finish to start out with.
Follow these styling tips and you will look red carpet ready and have a soft sexy retro look just like Katy’s.
Call now to book an appointment. Anastasia is a salon hair stylist in Oklahoma City, OK. Out of town appointments welcome.